Mission Road Ministries annually offers the S.O.A.R. – Summer Outreach and Recreation – Program to our resident children as well as children from the community with diagnoses of IDD.
We are delighted to report that 25 wonderful children will be joining us this summer 2020 for S.O.A.R. This is actually three more than we had originally planned – and we are thrilled to grow our program to accommodate these precious kiddos.
What makes S.O.A.R. so special:
- Our longtime, professional and well trained staff will care for your child during this program.
- Children are separated into small groups that are age and level of care based.
- Nine weeks of summer care are available
- S.O.A.R. is offered Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for nine weeks throughout the summer for all children.
- S.O.A.R. is open to the 45 children who live on our campus and community children each summer.
All of the children have varying degrees of IDD and most have accompanying physical disabilities. S.O.A.R. is integral to their continuing progress and personal achievement. Children with IDD require a great deal of structure and predictability to move forward. They require constant and consistent professional programs to maintain and progress academically, socially, spiritually and behaviorally. Without this daily program, they tend to regress in all areas during the summer.
S.O.A.R. Calendar 2020:
- Week #1: June 15-19
- Week #2: June 22-26
- Week #3: June 29-July 2 (NO SOAR Classes July 3)
- Week #4: July 6-10
- Week #5: July 13-17
- Week #6: July 20-24
- Week #7: July 27-31
- Week #8: Aug 3-7
- Week #9: Aug 10-13
Children may be registered and included on a first come/first served basis.
Minimum Week Registration Requirement: S.O.A.R. is a nine week program. A minimum of seven (7) week registration is required for each camper. Families may choose any seven weeks from among the nine scheduled.
Additional Week Registration Opportunity: Families may add additional weeks up to a total of nine weeks as required. Weeks 8 and 9 may be added on a per week basis. All five days of each week are required for registration. Full tuition payment is required for the minimum seven-week registration and for each additional week even if child might be absent on any day(s) of these participation weeks. Refunds may be denied for any days and/or weeks during which the child is absent.
- $300.00 per week / child
- Seven (7) week minimum registration
- Each additional week available at $300.00 per week / per child
- A non-refundable deposit of 1,200.00 (four week tuition) is due Friday, May 29, 2020
- Total balance is due July, 24, 2020
- Families may be charged $1.00 per minute for each minute they may be late after 3:00pm each day to retrieve their child.
If tuition is not private pay, please share this with our staff.
**Mission Road residential children who have been placed with us through Child Protective Services attend S.O.A.R. through the generosity of the community. Neither the state nor the federal government covers this important program for these children. The funds raised pay for staffing, programming, materials, meals, transportation, special field trips, etc.
The Six Domains of S.O.A.R.
- Community Service
- Life Skills
- Arts & Crafts
- Leisure & Recreation
- Spiritual Development
- Fine Arts
Our Campus: 22 acres of Peace & Tranquility
Unlike a more metropolitan “center” facility that may only offer a single playground and one or two classrooms in which children may spend their summer, at Mission Road we are proud of our tranquil, wooded, 22-acre campus along the banks of the San Antonio River. Our campus offers children old world ranch-style grounds featuring:
- Air Conditioned Gym
- Pool with beach entry, water slide and wheelchair lift
- Covered Pavilion with Movie Screen
- Life Skills Kitchen
- TWO Playgrounds
- Academic Classroom
- Arts & Crafts Classroom
- Fine Arts & Discovery Room
- Quiet Sensory Room
- Soccer Field
- Sports Court with Basketball Hoops
- Fitness Park & Walking Trail
- and more!
For more information, contact us at [email protected] or call 210.924.9265
S.O.A.R. Field Trips may include:
- Fiesta Texas
- Sea World
- Morgan’s Wonderland
- Witte Museum
- San Antonio Zoo
- Institute of Texan Cultures
- Movie Theater
- Special Olympics
- Nature Walks
- Heart Club
- San Antonio Aquarium
S.O.A.R. Community Service Projects (We give back!):
- Baking and gardening at the Ronald McDonald House
- Beautifying San Antonio parks by painting benches and painting over graffiti
- Playing Bingo, singing and arts and crafts at nursing homes
- Meals on Wheels delivery
Volunteers are one of the reasons why our S.O.A.R. program is such a success. Youth groups may volunteer for one week at a time or one day out of the week. Our volunteer program is directed by Danny Williams
At times, community teens who are at risk for the traditional debilitating problems of drug and alcohol abuse, gang activity, school drop out, pregnancy, incarceration, etc. are also included. These teens are paid a small stipend – an encouragement for consistent participation. But perhaps the greatest earnings they receive are the respect of the IDD children. They become role models – something almost always new to them. They gain remarkable self awareness and esteem. They take this with them back to their homes and schools – often achieving much more than they ever thought possible.
For more information, contact us at [email protected] or call 210.924-9265.
S.O.A.R. Interest Form:
Complete and submit our S.O.A.R. online interest form below. Upon receipt, our team will contact you via email or phone to schedule a meeting and interview. At that time, the S.O.A.R. application and necessary release forms will be provided.