Mission Road Ministries annually offers the S.O.A.R. – Summer Outreach and Recreation – Program to our resident children as well as children from the community with diagnoses of IDD.
We are delighted to report that 12 children from loving community homes – our Koalas – will be joining us this summer 2021 for S.O.A.R. All of these spots are currently committed. We missed having all of our Koalas with in us in 2020 as we faced the challenges of COVID. We are hopeful that we can accommodate our typical attendance of 25+ in future summers.
What makes S.O.A.R. so special in 2021:
- Our longtime, professional and well trained staff will care for your child during this program.
- Children are separated into small groups that are age and level of care based.
- Nine weeks of summer care are available
- S.O.A.R. is offered Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for seven weeks throughout the summer for all children.
- S.O.A.R. is open to the 35 children who live on our campus and community children – our Koalas – each summer.
All of the children have varying degrees of IDD and most have accompanying physical disabilities. S.O.A.R. is integral to their continuing progress and personal achievement. Children with IDD require a great deal of structure and predictability to move forward. They require constant and consistent professional programs to maintain and progress academically, socially, spiritually and behaviorally. Without this daily program, they tend to regress in all areas during the summer.
S.O.A.R. Calendar 2021:
- Week #1: June 14-18
- Week #2: June 21-25
- Week #3: June 28 – July 2
- Week #4: July 6-9 (No Classes Monday, July 5th)
- Week #5: July 12-16
- Week #6: July 19-23
- Week #7: July 26-30
As of April 2021, all available spots reserved for Koalas have been filled. For participating families, full tuition payment is required for all seven weeks. Refunds may be denied for any days and/or weeks during which the child is absent.
- $300.00 per week / child
- Registration and payment for all seven (7) weeks is required
- A non-refundable deposit of 1,200.00 (four week tuition) is due Friday, June 4, 2021
- Total balance is due July 16, 2021
- Families may be charged $1.00 per minute for each minute they may be late after 3:00pm each day to retrieve their child.
If tuition is not private pay, please share this with our staff.
**Mission Road residential children who have been placed with us through Child Protective Services attend S.O.A.R. through the generosity of the community. Neither the state nor the federal government covers this important program for these children. The funds raised pay for staffing, programming, materials, meals, transportation, special field trips, etc.
The Six Domains of S.O.A.R.
- Community Service
- Life Skills
- Arts & Crafts
- Leisure & Recreation
- Spiritual Development
- Fine Arts
Our Campus: 22 acres of Peace & Tranquility
Unlike a more metropolitan “center” facility that may only offer a single playground and one or two classrooms in which children may spend their summer, at Mission Road we are proud of our tranquil, wooded, 22-acre campus along the banks of the San Antonio River. Our campus offers children old world ranch-style grounds featuring:
- Air Conditioned Gym
- Pool with beach entry, water slide and wheelchair lift
- Covered Pavilion with Movie Screen
- Life Skills Kitchen
- TWO Playgrounds
- Academic Classroom
- Arts & Crafts Classroom
- Fine Arts & Discovery Room
- Quiet Sensory Room
- Soccer Field
- Sports Court with Basketball Hoops
- Fitness Park & Walking Trail
- and more!
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 210.924.9265
2021 Field Trip:
In our continued efforts to keep our children, their families and our staff safe, we are limiting our 2021 Field Trips to one outing… Morgan’s Wonderland. The exact date is yet to be determined.
The history of S.O.A.R. Field Trips has included:
- Fiesta Texas
- Sea World
- Morgan’s Wonderland
- Witte Museum
- San Antonio Zoo
- Institute of Texan Cultures
- Movie Theater
- Special Olympics
- Nature Walks
- Heart Club
- San Antonio Aquarium
S.O.A.R. Community Service Projects (We give back!):
- Baking and gardening at the Ronald McDonald House
- Beautifying San Antonio parks by painting benches and painting over graffiti
- Playing Bingo, singing and arts and crafts at nursing homes
- Meals on Wheels delivery
For 2021, there are currently no off campus service projects scheduled.
Volunteers are one of the reasons why our S.O.A.R. program is such a success. Youth groups may volunteer for one week at a time or one day out of the week. Our volunteer program is directed by Danny Williams.
At times, community teens who are at risk for the traditional debilitating problems of drug and alcohol abuse, gang activity, school drop out, pregnancy, incarceration, etc. are also included. These teens are paid a small stipend – an encouragement for consistent participation. But perhaps the greatest earnings they receive are the respect of the IDD children. They become role models – something almost always new to them. They gain remarkable self awareness and esteem. They take this with them back to their homes and schools – often achieving much more than they ever thought possible.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com or call 210.924-9265.
S.O.A.R. Interest Form:
Complete and submit our S.O.A.R. online interest form below. Upon receipt, our team will contact you via email or phone to schedule a meeting and interview. At that time, the S.O.A.R. application and necessary release forms will be provided.