Mission Road Ministries annually offers the S.O.A.R. – Summer Outreach and Recreation – Program to our resident children as well as children from the community with diagnoses of IDD.
We are delighted to report that in the summer of 2022 we are able to serve the same number of children from loving community homes – our Koalas – as we did prior to the challenge of the COVID pandemic. We are currently accepting applications. Please scroll to the bottom of the page to complete and submit our online S.O.A.R. Interest Form. We will be filling available spots until we have reached the maximum space allowable to safely and lovingly care for these children.
What makes S.O.A.R. so special in 2022:
- Our longtime, professional and well trained staff will care for your child during this program.
- Children are separated into small groups that are age and level of care based.
- Seven weeks of summer care are available
- S.O.A.R. is offered Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for seven weeks throughout the summer for all children.
- S.O.A.R. is open to the 35 children who live on our campus plus approximately 28 community children – our Koalas – each summer.
All of the children have varying degrees of IDD and most have accompanying physical disabilities. S.O.A.R. is integral to their continuing progress and personal achievement. Children with IDD require a great deal of structure and predictability to move forward. They require constant and consistent professional programs to maintain and progress academically, socially, spiritually and behaviorally. Without this daily program, they tend to regress in all areas during the summer.
S.O.A.R. Calendar 2022:
- Week #1: June 13-17
- Week #2: June 20-24
- Week #3: June 27 – July 1
- Week #4: July 5-8 (No Classes Monday, July 4th)
- Week #5: July 11-15
- Week #6: July 18-22
- Week #7: July 25-29 (S.O.A.R. Finale Celebration: July 29)
As of February 2022, a limited spots are open for Koalas campers. For participating families, full tuition payment is required for all seven weeks. Refunds may be denied for any days and/or weeks during which the child is absent.
- $300.00 per week / child
- Registration and payment for all seven (7) weeks is required
- A non-refundable deposit of 1,200.00 (four week tuition) is due Friday, June 3, 2022
- Total balance is due July 15, 2022
- Families may be charged $1.00 per minute for each minute they may be late after 3:00pm each day to retrieve their child.
If tuition is not private pay, please share this with our staff.
**Mission Road residential children who have been placed with us through Child Protective Services attend S.O.A.R. through the generosity of the community. Neither the state nor the federal government covers this important program for these children. The funds raised pay for staffing, programming, materials, meals, transportation, special field trips, etc. If you would like to make a donation in support of our S.O.A.R. Summer, Holiday and After School program, we are thank you and you make CLICK HERE to be directed to our donation page.
The Six Domains of S.O.A.R.
- Community Service
- Life Skills
- Arts & Crafts
- Leisure & Recreation
- Spiritual Development
- Culinary Arts
Our Campus: 22 acres of Peace & Tranquility
Unlike a more metropolitan “center” facility that may only offer a single playground and one or two classrooms in which children may spend their summer, at Mission Road we are proud of our tranquil, wooded, 22-acre campus along the banks of the San Antonio River. Our campus offers children old world ranch-style grounds featuring:
- Air Conditioned Gym
- Pool with beach entry, water slide and wheelchair lift
- Covered Pavilion with Movie Screen
- Life Skills Kitchen
- TWO Playgrounds
- Academic Classroom
- Arts & Crafts Classroom
- Fine Arts & Discovery Room
- Quiet Sensory Room
- Soccer Field
- Sports Court with Basketball Hoops
- Fitness Park & Walking Trail
- and more!
For more information, contact us at email@example.com or call 210.924.9265
2022 Field Trip:
In our continued efforts to keep our children, their families and our staff safe, we are limiting our 2022 Field Trips and will inform parents as they are scheduled.
The history of S.O.A.R. Field Trips has included:
- Fiesta Texas
- Sea World
- Morgan’s Wonderland
- Witte Museum
- San Antonio Zoo
- Movie Theater
- Special Olympics
- Nature Walks
- Heart Club
- San Antonio Aquarium
S.O.A.R. Community Service Projects (We give back!):
- Baking and gardening at the Ronald McDonald House
- Beautifying San Antonio parks by painting benches and painting over graffiti
- Playing Bingo, singing and arts and crafts at nursing homes
- Meals on Wheels delivery
For 2022, we are researching off campus service projects and will share this information with participating families once they are scheduled.
Volunteers are one of the reasons why our S.O.A.R. program is such a success. Youth groups may volunteer for one week at a time or one day out of the week. Our volunteer program is directed by Danny Williams.
At times, community teens who are at risk for the traditional debilitating problems of drug and alcohol abuse, gang activity, school drop out, pregnancy, incarceration, etc. are also included. These teens are paid a small stipend – an encouragement for consistent participation. But perhaps the greatest earnings they receive are the respect of the IDD children. They become role models – something almost always new to them. They gain remarkable self awareness and esteem. They take this with them back to their homes and schools – often achieving much more than they ever thought possible.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 210.924-9265.
S.O.A.R. Interest Form:
Complete and submit our S.O.A.R. online interest form below. Upon receipt, our team will contact you via email or phone to schedule a meeting and interview. At that time, the S.O.A.R. application and necessary release forms will be provided.
SOAR Summer Camp