Mission Road Ministries sponsors a supervised apartment program for adults with intellectual and other developmental disabilities who need minimal supports. The goal of the program is to provide supportive services to optimize the independence and productivity of the adults in an affordable living arrangement.
Mission Road has three apartment complexes in San Antonio that provide affordable housing and services for the tenants. Suzanne Smith Management Company supervises the three apartments: Independence Square, Murray Manor and Meadow Brook. The apartments are Housing and Urban Development (HUD) subsidized apartment complexes designed exclusively for adults with intellectual and other developmental disabilities. The apartments have one or two bedroom options with a community room for gatherings and a laundry room.
Eligibility criteria for apartment living includes:
- Adult with an intellectual developmental disability
- Not under guardianship
- Independent in self-care, self-medication, self-evaluation in emergencies
- Minimal assistance required in home safety, kitchen/household management, clothing maintenance and community mobility
- Active employment or participation in competitive employment, sheltered employment, vocational training or a day activity center.
Support Services of the Apartments include:
- Individual Program Plan conducted upon admission, annually and as needed.
- Supervision of banking, budgeting and shopping.
- Refinement training in daily living skills such as cooking, banking, budgeting, social and recreational activities on a weekly basis.
- In-service training on issues related to safety, security, sanitation, health and general welfare.
- Transportation for employment or recreational activities when public transportation is not available.
- On-site manager and weekend relief staff.