Clifford and Adele Bledsoe open the doors of Mission Road Foundation and School in September, which began by serving the Bledsoe’s son and two other children with three staff members.
May 23, Mission Road Foundation was chartered by the State of Texas as a non-profit rehabilitation center for exceptional children (with intellectual and other developmental disabilities). It was licensed by the State Department of Public Welfare.
The 15th Anniversary of Mission Road Foundation, which had grown to serve 68 children with a staff of 33. The original two acre tract had grown to 22 acres with ten buildings, in addition to the original Votaw-James homestead.
Enrollment listed at 110, with 24 acres. Brochure stated Mission Road was a United Fund Agency.
The Bledsoes retired from active management of the center, which was then managed by an Executive Director, Wallace D. Nielson, and professional staff under the direction of a 20-member Board of Directors. At this time, the Bledsoes deeded their interest in the grounds, buildings and equipment to the Foundation, thus assuring continued operation of the center. The Bledsoes continued to live in their home on the campus. It was reported that the campus had grown to 24 acres with 18 structures; in addition to the original homestead, swimming pool, eight dormitories, classrooms, a gymnasium, chapel and workshop. The stated mission was “to furnish proper and adequate custodial care for the intellectually disabled, who cannot be otherwise provided for and to offer education and training for those who may have capabilities for return to the community.”
Our Statement of Philosophy is presented to define the Christian foundation on which Mission Road Ministries has been built and on which it continues to grow. It is not meant to be exclusive of the faiths of others. As well, this philosophy statement does not impose belief. We affirm that belief is a personal matter determined by each individual.
As an organization sponsored by First Presbyterian Church of San Antonio and following the example of Christian love and concern which was expressed in the lives of our founders, Clifford and Adele Bledsoe, we believe in the Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and therefore, we affirm:
- That all persons are created in the image and likeness of God and thereby have inherent dignity and worth.
- That Jesus Christ reconciles persons to God and to one another.
- That love and service of God is manifested in love and service to others.
In response to these beliefs, Mission Road is committed to:
- Identifying and responding to the needs of the developmentally disabled whom are often forgotten or rejected because they are identifiably different and have special needs.
- Affirming the dignity, value, and contribution which all persons have and can make as children of God.
- Promoting an environment of Christian community modeled on the Gospel imperative to love God with all of our heart, and mind, and soul, and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. This is lived out in servant leadership, compassionate honesty, affirmation of the whole person, responsible stewardship and self-giving care for one another.
Persons with intellectual and other developmental disabilities can and should have the opportunity to be recognized for their potential, not their limitations while leading fulfilling lives within their own community. Mission Road’s purpose is to provide quality care to ensure that our clients reach their maximum potential for independence, productivity and inclusion in the community.
FAITH | FAMILY | INTEGRITY | RESPECT | TEAMWORK
To fulfill our Call to minister to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, Mission Road is guided by values that define our relationship with one another and shape our vision for the future.
FAITH – Christian faith is the foundation for our ministry
FAMILY – We are committed to each other through unconditional love, care and understanding
INTEGRITY – We conduct ourselves with compassionate honesty, ethical behavior and responsible leadership
RESPECT – We accept the individuality of each person and value their contribution
TEAMWORK – Relying on each other, we can achieve Mission Road’s mission